Skip to main content

Grace Relations

Ever have someone say something to you that cuts your heart into ribbons and you think you deserved it? Recently someone I love warned me that at times I sound full of vitriol. She was speaking in reference to my passion regarding certain topics, one of them being politics. That gave me some thinking to do. Next a close friend of mine listened to a seminar I gave on hope. She said the material was good but she wondered if I was afraid or tired or if something was wrong. She expected the woman she knew, she expected some humor, some in your face truth and to be uncomfortable because I would make her think. She likes to inspect her presuppositions and be challenged by biblical truth. I blamed the pain I am in and drugs I take. I tried to dismiss it but I have thought about little else since she gave me her criticisms.

A couple days ago I read a post on Pyromaniacs and after reading it, placed my tongue in cheek and typed a response that oozed sarcasm. Some poor woman with a twisted sense of humor just like mine read my comment and liked it enough that she came here to my blog to leave me a comment and let me know. She also read a post and decided that she would become a reader. Pray for her, she is obviously in need help. (Ooops! There goes that tongue back to its cheek position.) Her comment made me realize that I hadn't written anything here in a while and I wondered why. Is it because my back and neck injury keep me from being able to sit? Is it the drugs I take that leave me feeling too flat and lifeless to have an opinion? Just what is it that has taken the old Rosemarie and made her a bland, plastic version of the woman she once was?

I would like to blame it on sanctification. When in doubt, blame God. Adam tried it unsuccessfully when he blamed God for the woman God gave him, so I don't hold much hope in blaming God for my troubles either, though I could make an argument for it. See, sanctification refines us and gets the bad out. My opinions are sin tainted and bad. My delivery is sinful. I shall stop delivering sinful opinions and just to be certain... I will stop delivering any opinion. Therefore God is changing me and I must embrace it, right? A better likelihood would be that the first criticism I received about appearing vitriolic weighed so heavily on my heart that I swung too far in the other direction. In my last post, Becoming a Redemptive Train Wreck I explored my not so subtle style of delivering truth. It is right to stop delivering opinions sinfully, it is sinful to stop delivering biblical opinions for fear of offending others.

I had to do some shopping earlier this morning and while I did I thought about what it is that I need. What is it that we need in this country? What is it I need to employ when delivering what I know will be painful to hear? The answer is grace. We Christians need to think about grace relations. Know someone having an adulterous affair? They don't need understanding, they need to know they are in sin and sin places them in peril of eternal judgment. Liars, homosexuals, murderers, thieves..... all in danger of an eternity spent in hell. Hell is a very bad place. To say nothing for fear of offending someone who is on the brink of destruction makes me the worst type of coward. I couldn't help but think about a clip I saw of Penn Jillette talking about a man who gave him a bible. It's a sad day when as a Christian you realize an avowed atheist is thinking clearer about how to treat others than you are. Lord, grant me the ability to be an ambassador of Your grace and to build grace relations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.