Skip to main content

Contentment vs Consumerism

For over a week now I have been at home nursing a back that's 'out' and/or a nerve that is pinched. At first I was so miserable with pain that day to day survival was my focus. I keep feeling as though I am healing but for the last two days I wake up feeling a little worse than the day before. My floors need to be mopped, my rugs vacuumed, my bed linens changed and my poor little doggie needs a good romp out in the woods.

Sunday night I normally have to take my garbage cans to the end of my driveway for Monday morning's early pick-up. My back was in such bad shape that there was no way I was going to risk it greater injury by wrestling with them. Today I took out a bag of trash to the cans and realized the cans were both empty. Being home for a week I hadn't been to the store, done much shopping or done anything much to make refuse.

What I am doing is catching up on my reading. I am honestly preparing myself for reading a couple of books that are likely going to convict me. I mean that. I am preparing the soil for what I know is going to be a difficult season and ultimately a wonderful harvest. Part of this journey has been about cultivating an attitude of gratitude. When I consider what I have I realize I am blessed beyond my wildest dreams.

Confession time: Today instead of reading I watched some television and of all things to watch, I turned on Oprah. Lisa Ling, whose work as a journalist I appreciate, had a story about 'freegans.' You can find some information on Oprah's site here. For those of you who hate clicking back and forth on websites, freegans are people who reject our societies rampant consumer values. Ms. Ling interviewed people with 6 figure incomes who did their shopping out of dumpsters. One couple in particular caught my attention. Their names are Daniel and Amanda and they are newlyweds. Newlyweds alway have a tough time surviving, right? Not these two. He is a doctor and she is an engineer. And yes... they are freegans.

Lisa Ling followed them as they collected food from a dumpster. Amanda admitted to being grossed out about it at first, but she changed her mind when she saw the quality of goods that were being thrown away. She's a better woman than I am. I admit I could do it if I had to. I doubt very seriously I would do it if I had $20 in my checking account. Here's the part that caught my attention.

-What made them think it was a good idea in the first place? Daniel says freegan ideas about consumption fit into their beliefs. "We try to live very simply, and we don't spend a lot on ourselves. We are very happy with having a little," he says. "We like to make it a priority to share a lot of our money. A lot of that comes from our Christian values of sharing and generosity."- (copied from Oprah's site linked above)

Wow. I am convicted by their example.
I thought I was doing well to cultivate my attitude of gratitude and yet here are people who are opting out of our society's consumerist mentality not because they live on a fixed income as I do, but because their Christian value system motivates them to buy less and give more.

I am not condemning anybody for having. I firmly believe you should buy the best that you can afford- best meaning best quality for performance and longevity and not best meaning most popular brand. I also think there is a clear difference between buying what you want and what you need.

Contentment. I am going to work on being content with having less stuff and spending more on the things He values.

Psalm 131:1-3
1 O LORD, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty; nor do I involve myself in great matters, or in things too difficult for me.
2 Surely I have composed and quieted my soul; like a weaned child {rests} against his mother, My soul is like a weaned child within me.
3 O Israel, hope in the LORD from this time forth and forever.
(NAS)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.