Skip to main content

Connecting the Dots

Today my pastor preached from Philippians 3:1-11. He unpacked verse 3 "for we are the {true} circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh,"(NAS) The entire sermon was encouraging and convicting and verse 3 stuck with me.

Am I trying to place confidence in my own abilities? Is that the cause of my misery? While considering the possibility, this thought occurred to me. I am always prepared for crisis. I am the one you want to know when the hurricane comes, when the earthquake strikes and when your relational world falls apart. If you need to figure out how to get a mountain moved by noon, I am your girl. Why? There is a mechanism within me that works when everyone else seems to seize up. It is not something I set out to accomplish for myself. It is the way God designed me.

I was talking with a group of women at bible study and remarked that I like earthquakes. Now, don't get me wrong, I hate that people get hurt and lose their property, but I love earthquakes. There is no doubt in your mind when you are in the middle of an earthquake that you are at the mercy of Almighty God. There is absolutely nothing you can do to stop the earth from moving. You can have some emergency supplies on hand that may help you survive once the movement stops, but you cannot make it stop yourself.

When I am active in ministry, or dealing with crises, I remember to put my armor on every day. When I am battling, I want my defensive equipment in tip-top shape. I have several emergency kits. I keep one in my car. Some of it is pretty normal- flashlights and the like. Some is pretty specialized. The chance that I will ever need to cut my seatbelt in order to get out of my car is pretty slim, but if I need to, I am ready. I have been carrying a center punch in my vehicles for almost 30 years and I have never had to use one- but I know exactly where to grab it if I do. I wouldn't say, "I have never used this in 30 years, I don't have to take it today." That would defeat the purpose of having it. I have to ask myself, why do I treat being prepared for spiritual matters with less zeal?

The chances that I am going to encounter a spiritual crises, battle or problem is guaranteed. I am in need of the full armor of God each and every day yet, because I haven't been battling or been in crisis, I have let my armor get loose, sloppy and unwieldy. I am not so much counting on my own abilities or putting confidence in my flesh as I am presuming on God's grace and mercy to instantly make me fit for battle. That's kind of like asking for prayer on a mid-term that you haven't studied for- something I used to tell students not to do. When a student asked me to pray for them during exams and confessed they hadn't studied, I would pray that they received the grade they prepared for. And now, here I am, unprepared and unwilling to wait on the Lord. It seems the sin of envy has partnered with the sin of presumption- I must repent. I must continue to ask God to show me my sin and grant me faith to repent.

True faith is grounded upon knowledge. Knowledge carries the torch before faith. There is a knowledge of Christ's orient excellencies. Phil 3: 8. He is made up of all love and beauty. True faith is a judicious intelligent grace, it knows whom it believes, and why it believes. Faith is seated as well in the understanding as in the will. It has an eye to see Christ, as well as a wing to fly to him. - Tomas Watson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.