Skip to main content

Gardening, Parables and Thoughts

We had two beautiful days of spring here. The redbud is in bloom, my patio peach tree is awash with deep coral colored blooms. My clematis is springing to life. There are daffodils and tulips blooming. Spring and fall are my favorite times of year here. The colors of the foliage are spectacular. Soon I hope to take a drive through the Smokey Mountains. They are simply stunning. Yesterday I ran errands, enjoyed the scenery and purchased some plants for my garden.

Today is overcast and we are likely to get some rain. As soon as I got up I got dressed in my gardening clothes, grabbed my tools and headed outside. I had some lovely and huge terracotta pots on my deck that had lavender growing in them. I managed to keep the lavender alive but the pots did not fare well over the winter. If the plants have any hope of survival they need to be in the soil before the terracotta crumbles away. I took my shovel out in the yard and dug two massive holes, one on each side of the rose bush I had planted last fall. Next I wrestled with the lavender and transplanted them to the holes. I also planted some gladiola bulbs, some snapdragons and some purple salvia. I put some herbs in what is traditionally a strawberry planter and put some bright pink and purple double stock plants in a resin pot on my deck. Stock smells sweet will blend beautifully with the pungent herbs that will be growing next to it. In my vegetable garden I've sown peas, spinach, swiss chard and onions. With all this accomplished, I am hoping for a light rain so I don't have to drag the hose out and water the things I have planted.

Gardening is therapeutic for me. I have half an acre of property that needs to landscaped. My home was built in the middle of what used to be someone's pasture. My lawn is Kentucky bluegrass, dandelions, nettles, wild carrots, wild onions and a host of weeds I have yet to identify. As I putter about, I generally try to think through things that are on my mind. When I started gardening my thoughts were occupied with the debate I have been listening to between James White and Steve Gregg. What started out as a productive exchange has devolved into something less than helpful. Today is the last day for the debate and I hope that it will return to being useful.

As I evaluated the debate, I worked at making the soil ready to receive the plants I was about to put in and my thoughts wandered to the parable of the sower (Matthew 13, Mark 4, Luke 8). I wonder if it is prideful arrogance that makes a man believe all men are fertile soil or is it wishful thinking? Knowing that all the seeds I have sown in my garden are not going to bring forth life or fruit didn't keep me from sowing them. Not knowing who the elect may be doesn't keep me from spreading the gospel in the same way. God is the giver of life, it is not up to me. Why do Christians so willingly accept that only God creates life in the womb, but deny eternal life is also His prerogative? Is it because we have had success in joining sperm and egg in a petri dish that we honestly believe man creates life, even his eternal life?

Why do some men have no problem with allowing God to choose Israel but Gentiles must choose Him first? How can they voice no displeasure at God's rescue of Lot and the annihilation of Sodom and Gomorrah but be infuriated if He chooses some to be saved from among other sinful towns now?

The rain has come and according to the forecast we are going to have rain over the next couple of days. This will be great for the things I have planted and for the weeds that will grow in competition with them. I must turn my thoughts to other things. I need to clean my house so when the rains stops I will be free to go out and pull weeds. I can't help but bring this verse to mind.

Matthew 5:45 in order that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on {the} evil and {the} good, and sends rain on {the} righteous and {the} unrighteous.
(NAS)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.