Skip to main content

Redbud Paparazzi

"If you have ever walked among giant redwoods, you will never be overwhelmed by the size of a dogwood tree... "

When I first moved to Kentucky it reminded me of where I grew up with just a few things missing; redwood trees, cool fog and the smell of the ocean... I can almost feel them. Almost. We have fog, but in California when it is foggy it is cold. Here it is warm and foggy. That's just not right. Things are very different here. My brother-in-law said, "Welcome to Kentucky, turn your clock back 50 years." I knew at once he was right. He grew up in the California redwoods too. We're both old enough to remember when California was kinder, slower and gentler. Kentucky is still all of those things.

I had a chance to chat with with a woman at bible study. She was a teacher at the local elementary school. She has the kind face, ready smile and soft, expressive voice that undoubtedly made her a favorite teacher. She also has the inquisitive nature and sense of wonder that should be mandatory among teachers. I love to have her tell me stories about our little town. A few weeks ago we talked about our very own little "tornado alley." She told me all about the path the storms normally take. She would have been a valuable resource when I was looking for a home. You guessed it, I live in one of the alleys.

This week we talked again about weather. The weather is more than polite conversation here. You make your plans and live your life by it here. She asked me if I was from a temperate part of California. I told her yes, I came from wine country. She smiled vaguely and I followed with, "North of San Francisco, where Luther Burbank settled and did all his work in horticulture." That made sense to her, we live in a dry county and wine country doesn't mean much to folks who are pleased to keep alcohol out of their stores and restaurants. "Do you enjoy having four seasons or do you miss the California climate?"

She went on to talk about the seasons within the seasons here. We had one day that was in the mid seventies and the next day we had snow. "Well, we've had our redbud winter, we'll be warm for a few days and then we'll have dogwood winter and then something else and then one last cold spell when the blackberry bushes bloom." She fascinates me. Later that night when my step-dad called he asked about the weather. He lives in Hawaii and worries about me when he hears about storms. I told him about redbud, dogwood and blackberry winter.

"Redbuds like in California? Would you send me pictures of them?" So yesterday and today my sister and I have been out driving the roads and finding redbud trees to photograph. We call ourselves the "Redbud Paparazzi." It was good to be out, having fun and communing with nature. We saw delicate wild flowers, beautiful rock formations, creeks, waterfalls, a wildcat and lots of redbud trees growing in between and under the other trees that are slowly coming to life. The countryside is breathtaking. As we drove I couldn't help but to be grateful to God for providing such a wonderful display.

"If you have ever walked among giant redwoods, you will never be overwhelmed by the size of a dogwood tree. Or if you have been through a hurricane, a spring rain is nothing to fear. If you have been in the presence of the almighty God, everything that once controlled you suddenly has less power." Edward T Welch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.