Skip to main content

The Gospel not Rights

I was driving through town a few days ago and hit the scan feature on my radio. It's always a surprise to me what will come up. Country? Rock? Christian Pop? This time the radio locked on NPR. A young woman, a polygamist, was making a statement about clinging to her faith even in the wake of the current controversy in Texas. There was a comment from someone about how polygamists choose the suffering when they choose the lifestyle. Before I could stop it, the radio was on another channel and I had driven far enough that I could not get reception when I tried to return to listen to the rest of the program. I wanted to know what was said next and the context of the show.

I have, what will seem by many Christians, some controversial ideas about things like polygamy. I absolutely believe that marriage is a covenant before God and is best made between one man and one woman. I do not see specific condemnation of polygamy in the bible. It is in many ways inferred and shown to be undesirable but it is not explicitly forbidden. It is in no manner encouraged. However, in the United States it is illegal so I haven't much sympathy for the woman clinging to her ill-placed faith when it comes to the law of man. I do feel for her because she has been duped and deceived and her soul is in peril.

I wish I could quote what she said in some capacity here because I immediately thought that the next poster children for tolerance will be the polygamists. Why not? Why shouldn't the polygamists have protected rights because of their sexual preferences? Isn't that what the homosexuals are vying for? That very idea makes me absolutely crazy. At the basest level it is illogical. If what consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom is none of my business, then why on earth should you be a protected class of people? I become entirely livid when homosexual's equate their plight to what the Civil Rights Movement was for Blacks. Frankly, I do not know why the black community tolerates that comparison.

Christians read my blog, and only a few at a that. I guess it is just as well, if others read it I would be no doubt dismissed as some intolerant homophobic right-winged conservative. Dismissing me would be much easier than actually hearing my argument and believing me to be genuinely kind, loving and not in favor of the polygamist or homosexual agenda. The problem I have is that our country seems bent and determined to protect the rights of anyone who can stand up and belch out a complaint. I suppose at some level it is the fundamental problem with democracy, not that I would trade it for anything else. It is plain that anything someone decides is their right to be able to do, there is an equal and opposite assertion against it from someone else. We are building a house of cards... rights without objective standards by which to measure or base them, place a culture in peril. Cultures are made of people... people with souls in jeopardy.

I wish Christians would remember that sometimes. We Christians are guilty of wanting to protect our rights too. Yet we seem to forget, the homosexual, the cult member, the rebellious youth, the alcoholic, the junkie, the politician... all...they are more than their sin, they are souls in peril. They are on the precipice of hell and we have the gospel, the Life Line, to offer them, not rights.

Gal 5:17-24
17 For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.
18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.
19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,
20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,
21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you just as I have forewarned you that those who practice such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
(NAS)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.