Skip to main content

Homing In

There is something about aging that causes you to reflect on things differently. I was telling a friend the other day that there was tremendous freedom in being fat, over fifty and having gray hair. It eliminates the game playing of being young, beautiful and single when you're single, 'fluffy' and look your age. I get to say what's on my mind with the freedom of just being me and have acquired the wisdom of knowing when to shut up (most of the time).

My birthday was fun. My sabbath day has been both encouraging and convicting. I have hopes for tomorrow being spent in the garden. I want to subdue a small piece of earth in my backyard. The last two years horrible squash bugs have decimated my zucchini. This year, we are at war. I am planting nasty smelling flowers that bugs don't like all around my vegetables. I am ready with my soapy water and if that doesn't work..... I'll wage chemical war on them. So what if I glow in the dark after consuming my Swiss chard? I will not be foiled by creepy crawly things. I hate 'em. As my friend Carla would say, Gak!

One of the things that I truly loved about working in Student Development, was watching the students transition from their first year to the young men and women they would become. It is easy to see the hand of God at work in others when you get to invest in their lives and be an 'interested party' instead of a casual observer. I received a letter from my niece today. It was a poignant letter about growing up and how to know where your home is. She acknowledged that our ultimate home is in heaven, but the rest of this must be important or God wouldn't have designed it for us. She went off to college in another state, made her important relationships with other students who left their home states and came to matriculate at the same college. Now she is working in another state with a job that allows her to travel.
She knows the job she is in is temporary and wants to know how you decide where home is when your heart is with family and friends scattered hither, tither and yon.

I am excited that she is asking this question. I am grateful that she is giving me a chance to see her grow in wisdom as she comes to some of the hard things about being an adult. I like that she knows me well enough to know I would tell her that heaven is our ultimate home. I also like that she decided to pose the questions in letter form. I like writing old fashioned letters. I just wish I could do it with the panache of some of the letters I have read that were written two hundred years ago. We have so damaged our ability to communicate heartfelt truths by reducing our vocabularies to what is appropriate for television and newspaper. One of the first things they teach you about writing is not to write above your targeted audience. I understand why, but it is sad.

In keeping with my discipline theme, today I did garden. Tomorrow's goal is to write my niece and offer her what I know about making life decisions. Tonight I will reflect on what the Word says on the topic. If I come up with something profound, perhaps I will share it. I may share it anyway. Not having something profound doesn't seem to keep me from posting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.