Skip to main content

Quirks, Decisions and Dairy Queen

So, I have to make a decision and I am all in knots about it. My kids are in California. My sister has to go to California to take care of some business. She is tempting me to go with her. I could see my grandson and my kidlets. I could see my friend before she has a big milestone birthday. I could have coffee with my buddy Vicki and her birthday is coming up too. I could taste real Chinese food and real Mexican food. I could eat real San Francisco sourdough bread. Sounds good.... but of course there is a catch. Not only is airfare an expense, but renting a car and parking at the airport and stuff.... and then... here's the big one... I would have to be my dear ol' buddy Chet the Wonder Dog in the kennel for a week. That's almost two whole months in dog time. He's approaching 12 years old, he's slowing down and my guilt glands are swelling just at the thought of it.

Now, ain't it funny that a woman who made life and death decisions for years is having such a hard time with the thought of putting her aging canine companion in a perfectly lovely boarding kennel. He'd be safe, monitored, fed, played with and loved. I think it wouldn't be as huge a consideration for me if I had been planning to do this. I need months to sneak up on stuff. It took me 7 years to buy a new couch once I decided I wanted one. That didn't turn out well for me. I bought it, my life changed and then I moved to Kentucky. Here's a pearl of wisdom. If you have to move across country, ditch your furniture. Nothing made it across the 2600 miles unscathed. My new couch got tweaked and one armrest came loose. . . but I digress.... I was talking about my dilemma....where was I? Oh yeah. Going to California hasn't been on my radar. I miss my kids. I love my family. I feel creepy all over for hesitating. All I can think about is how much my body aches now and how much it will hurt to be in a plane for 5 hours at a time. How my doggie will be older when I come home, how my momentum will be thrown off.. When you're old you shouldn't mess with your momentum.

Getting old isn't for cowards. Neither is being quirky. I like discovering people's quirks. I like it when people notice mine, unless they are annoyed by them. I won't list my friends quirks, but here are some of mine. I don't like to drink the last 1/2 inch of whatever beverage I am consuming if it is in a glass I can see through. My siblings used to make fun of me. Once my sister, Linda, put a slice of cucumber in my drink to see if I would find it. I did. I spewed what I was drinking all over when it touched my lip. I freak out if I sit in a booth at a restaurant. I mean full blown panic. Give me a table I can get away from quickly. I don't sit with my back to the door. I can't touch apricot or peach fuzz. Rubbing cornstarch between my fingers gives me goosebumps and makes me shiver. I hold my breath when I watch underwater scenes on TV or in movies. The Abyss, one of my all time favorites, makes me panic and turn blue every time I watch it. I abhor listening to music I can't understand the words to. As I get older, the choices are narrowing.

Choices.... that brings me back to my California quandry. I am in knots trying to decide. This is one of the times I wish I could open the bible and pick out a random verse and have it tell me what to do. "Yea, verily, arise from your recumbent position and haste to Delta, where thou shalt buy a round trip ticket to California." 1 Hezekiah 2:3. The pressure being too much for me I took my dog to Dairy Queen today and got him a treat cone. It was his first. I thought, "What if I decide to go to California and something happens to him and we never got to go to Dairy Queen together?!" Yeah, that's right. A bucket list for me and my dog. In the Kentucky rain we drove to town, I ordered his cone and held it while he partook. I think he experienced brain freeze. I still don't know if I am going to California, but my doggie was happy. That's all that mattered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.