Skip to main content

This Just In.......

I passed the test that I have been studying for- thanks be to God! I am grateful for those of you who prayed for me. I passed the test by the grace of God and the skin of my teeth. Your prayers for me were the difference, I know it. I am sitting here sipping Pellegrino in celebration.

In the midst of my elation I am also on the ragged edge- but not in a bad way. I have so many things going on in my life just now that I am in a constant state of kinetic energy. Ever been like that? Sort of worn out and frazzled, but in a good way. If I lose my balance at all, stuff may come crashing to the floor but for the nonce, it's all good.

God's timing, because it is always perfect, never ceases to amaze me. My sister's life is full of taking care of her dad. I know she has been very mindful that I had hours of free time that were threatening to choke the life out of me as they morphed into hours of boredom and self-pity. She doesn't have to worry about me and can focus on her dad. Coincidence? I think not.

Speaking of unlikely coincidences (read providence) I have been assigned a work cubicle that is everything I did not want it to be. It is the first cubicle by the window so I have extremes of hot and cold. The sun bakes me and I am certain the snow will make it cold. It's also in the first row by the front door where the smokers all congregate and the smell is..... atrocious..... and I get to have it come wafting to me every time someone opens the door. And it is right next to someone who chatters. Bless her heart she is lonely for conversation and I *so* get that. She is a transplant to Kentucky and has lots of experiences in her past that she is sorting through. She is a nice woman. She is a giver. She is distracting me to the point of tears. She is also Jewish and thinks I should be too. She has had some bad experiences with "Christians" and I get to hear about them all. I don't mind that so much. I really don't mind her except that I don't like chatting when I am working.

Coincidences? I think not. I don't presume to know the mind of God but if I were a betting woman I would say she is in my life to teach me to share space and time with someone. She told me she was a conservative, practicing Jew. I said, "So, where do you make your sacrifices?" Now she says she is "Neo-Orthodox." I say she is probably next to me to hear the gospel. Coincidence Thy name is God. As for the comfort of my cubicle, somebody had to get it and why not me? Especially seeing as how I talk about the dangers of being single and never having to compromise and always getting what I want.

So as thanksgiving and praise goes up for one prayer answered, (passing the test), more prayers go out for me to mind my tongue and my patience. I have someone who is watching my commitment to Christ. Yikes! That thought is scary. Sometimes trying to bridle the flesh and rein it in feels like trying to hold back the tides. How good it is to remember, I don't fight for a victory, I fight from a victory. (I John 4:4)

Proverbs 21:31
The horse is prepared for the day of battle, but victory belongs to the LORD.

Ps 20:5

We will sing for joy over your victory, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners. May the LORD fulfill all your petitions.

Prov 16:9

The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.

Prov 19:21

Many are the plans in a man's heart, but the counsel of the LORD, it will stand.

Lam 3:37-38
37 Who is there who speaks and it comes to pass, unless the Lord has commanded {it} 38 {Is it} not from the mouth of the Most High that both good and ill go forth?

Ps 21:13

Be Thou exalted, O LORD, in Thy strength; we will sing and praise Thy power.(NAS)

Comments

Up On the Hill said…
Big time congrats! I am so proud!

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.