Skip to main content

Buon Natale!

It's Christmas day. I am off of work and find myself unwilling to catch up on chores, at least for now. What I am doing is missing my kids. Earlier this week I sent a priority mailing package to my youngest. She is the mother of my grandson. She is also experiencing some physical problems. Like me, she has carpal tunnel syndrome and that is making work very difficult for her. She has some big decisions to make. Surgery? No surgery? How do you care for a young boy of three (at the end of this month) after having surgery? She is overwhelmed with the situations of adulthood. Growing up is not for cowards. Anyway, we had a recent conversation about how her son wanted to go to Chucky Cheese's for his third birthday. She wanted to invite a couple of his young friends and go but when you are struggling and unable to work because you are injured, even a conservative birthday party at Chucky Cheese's is out of reach. I know. I have been there .... when she and her sister were young.

Back to my story.... I sent her a priority mail envelope with Christmas and birthday cards in it for the boy and an envelope full of cash for her to use to buy my grandson something for Christmas and take him to Chucky Cheese's for pizza. I never send cash in the mail. I know what happens to it... it ends up on the pockets of mail thieves, some of whom work for the postal service and know when to scout for cash in Christmas and birthday cards. I sent the cash so she wouldn't have to wait for an out of state check to be held by her bank and then I began to worry. I kept expecting to hear from her that she had received the packet and I didn't. She knew something was coming in the mail, she didn't know it was cash. The longer I went without hearing from her the more worried I became, so I told myself she got it and was just too busy to call. I finally despaired of hearing from her and rather than resenting her for not putting my worries to rest, I forgot about the envelope.

This morning when I got up there was a voice mail on my cell phone. It was my kid telling me that she knew I was asleep but that she wanted to call and tell me that she had received the envelope. From the sound of her voice she is either sick or- more likely- she had been crying. She thanked me and expressed that the money was going to be very helpful. They had abandoned the Chucky Cheese's birthday party idea and had no idea how they were going to manage even a small celebration. My reaction? I wish I had sent her more money. I wish I was in California or she and my grandson were here in Kentucky so I could help them more often.

I want to be focused on the true meaning of Christmas. I want to be thinking about the magnificent gift God gave us in His Son. Instead my heart longs to see my kids and family scattered about the country. I hope for a future time that by the grace and mercy of God, my kids and grandson may delight in Jesus, the true Gift.

If you have your kids, grand kids and family near you this Christmas...please know how blessed you are. If they are saved by the grace of God.... rejoice!

Isaiah 9:6
For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

Zephaniah 3:17
"The LORD your God is in your midst, a victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy.

Matthew 1:23
"Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and shall bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which translated means, "God with us."

Psalm 46:1111 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our stronghold. Selah.(NAS)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.