Skip to main content

Navigating the Minefield of Choices and Regrets

In a few short days I will be returning to the place I first launched into adulthood. I dread the journey though I am fairly certain the anticipation of being there is going to be worse than actually being there. At least, I hope it will be.

You see, I am a bible believing, saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone Christian now. I only briefly toyed at being one when I lived in the town I am returning to. Without understanding the gospel and having a theological clue, the best that you can do is play at being a Christian. I have a lot of history back there that is painful to remember. I am not that young stupid woman any more and I am not anxious to be reminded of stories about what I did when I was. There are things I did, choices I made in the moments of what I had mistaken for passion or principle and now know were nothing more than drunken self-indulgence and hubris, that I regret. I am ashamed of them. Deeply ashamed.

I don't want to see people who are expecting the woman I used to be, but that's not the worst of it. There are people I will have to apologize to and that's still not the worst of it. The worst of it is I don't trust my choices now. There's a reason "Come Thou Fount" is my favorite hymn. I am prone to wander. I feel it. I don't want to see people who may act as catalysts for that other woman I used to be to return. And as long as I am being honest, I am also vain enough to tell you that I haven't aged well and hate going back to have people talk smack about how much weight I have gained and how old I look. Mostly though, it's that I am not the woman that they knew, and I am grateful to God for the change.

What do we do when we are filled with regret? What do we do when for reasons beyond our control and that rest in God's sovereignty, we have to go back to the scene of the crimes we have committed against Him? How do we find the balance between having no more condemnation and exercising the humility necessary to make amends with those we've hurt in the process? None of us sin in a vacuum. Our sin, like ripples in a fetid pool of water, starts out with us and spreads out to others; sin makes secondary victims or collateral damage. It is the 'gift' that keeps on 'giving.'

I have been more than a little anxious about finding this balance. This morning I realized how selfishly I was considering all this. It's not like God is trying to rub my nose in the filth of my youthful choices. Perhaps I am being sent back as a display of God's glory and mercy. Perhaps this is not about teaching me a single thing but about showing them the difference He makes in the lives of those He calls out of darkness. And while it may be a little uncomfortable for me, it won't be as uncomfortable as hell. That's where I was headed when last I encountered these old friends of mine. That's where they may still be headed and if my God chooses to use a short, fat old woman like me to display the difference His grace and forgiveness make in the lives of sinners, what greater honor might I be given?

Psalm 130:1-5
1 Out of the depths I have cried to Thee, O LORD.
2 Lord, hear my voice! Let Thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.
3 If Thou, LORD, shouldst mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?
4 But there is forgiveness with Thee, that Thou mayest be feared.
5 I wait for the LORD, my soul does wait, and in His word do I hope.
(NAS)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.