Skip to main content

Opening My Window

I exercised my right to vote today. I thought about the "Iron Jawed Angels," suffragists and suffragettes that made it possible for me to vote. Without the 19th Amendment, I could only complain about the state of politics in America. Now I can complain with a smidgen more power. I do not take this privilege lightly and I do not scoff at the power of one vote. Dissenting opinions are important for balanced growth. That being said, I will be so happy a week from now when most of the votes are counted and the media blitz has died down. I am sick to death of Politicians and Media.

I want to have my "Howard Beale" moment. I am as mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore. This election has to be one of the most despicable displays of moral depravity to unfold in decades if not centuries. I know politics is dirty business and I know that it has been that way from the start but really, does it have to be this bad? Really? Ads had to be taken out where politicians seeking votes had to say things like, "I am not a witch." Or the infamous "Aqua Buddha" ad that played right here in my new home state? Really? This is what we have come to?

The media has had such a heyday telling the current administration that the American public is tired and they want something different. People are unhappy. But I ask you, what good has any of that kvetching done? Did it boost their channel ratings? No. All that has happened is the partisan political machinery on both sides has been placed in hyper drive, launching mudslinging and muckraking right past light speed and into ludicrous speed, to borrow from Mel Brooks. How is that helping? Making endless prognostications and playing out different scenarios as if they are reporting news. Bah!

Let me just say this to the media. Frankly, I do not care if Sarah Palin is getting ready to make a run in 2012. All the media speculation about whether or not she is or whether her reality television show will help or hinder her makes me want to scream. First of all, Reagan starred in Bedtime for Bonzo and some other C movies and that didn't stop him from being president. You want to report what the majority of folks are saying out there in the homes you bathe with your slanted 'news' at 6 and 11 each night? They want to see someone with the intestinal fortitude to run for office on their ideas and solutions. They don't want to hear any more platitudes and empty promises. They, like me, are bone weary with the moral turpitude of our garden variety politicians on all sides. We want some folks with integrity and gumption. We want to see some folks who aren't afraid to go completely against the flow of what has become normal. We want to see that someone gets it. We are afraid of losing our homes, losing our freedoms, losing our way of life. We are tired of your privileged selves acting like you get it when you don't. If you got it you wouldn't spend your fortunes slinging mud, you take out ads giving us solutions. Detailed solutions.

What have we done so wrong in our country that we haven't been able to produce some heroes and/or heroines lately? Have we become so 'rights' oriented that we are unable to count the cost and responsibility of having those very rights? God spare me from sensationalized television and political ads for candidates I am loathe to choose from. God help me to remember that You set the standard for right and wrong.


Daniel 2:20-22
20 Daniel answered and said, "Let the name of God be blessed forever and ever, for wisdom and power belong to Him.
21 "And it is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men, and knowledge to men of understanding.
22 "It is He who reveals the profound and hidden things; He knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with Him.
(NAS)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.