Skip to main content

Color Me Happy


It's been a while since I have written. None of my three readers has protested my absence so I am not certain why I should feel guilty about not writing. Blogging, like relationships, takes work and I imagine I am feeling a guilt akin to being neglectful of a friend or acquaintance. That and the fact that I genuinely enjoy writing have caused me to return.

I have been focused on getting my health back to the extent that I can. I do not want to end my life a lump of flesh behind a computer monitor waxing poetic about the good old days or complaining bitterly about the stupidity of everyone that doesn't share my opinion. The physical misery I have been through these many months has been good for my soul. My body hasn't cared too much for it but that's often the way of things that are good for you. Isn't it? I have had to face my reluctance to be broken and vulnerable even with God. As if I could hide it from Him. Really? For a woman who enjoys a modicum of intelligence I behave like a cowardly fool far too often. It takes more courage to live in abject spiritual poverty than it does to put on a brave front and pretend everything is hunky dory between you and God. Although learning this has been worth every moment of physical discomfort I have endured, I am ready be courageous and feel better.

In an act of desperation accompanied with hours of consultation with Dr. Google, I decided that the best thing I could do for my body was to attempt a gluten free diet. I was certain sure that some tests I had would prove that I did, in fact, have celiac disease. I do not. However, a few weeks of being gluten free has changed everything for me. The energy level that I have now is astounding me. I feel so much better that I am almost manic. I honestly thought I was experiencing some sort of placebo effect. My mind had decided being gluten free was the answer when I wrongly self-diagnosed a case of celiac sprue and come hell or high water my body was going to respond! A few days ago I went to the doctor and she had some blood drawn. The tests showed that my blood sugar, cholesterol and triglycerides had dropped. My triglycerides had dropped tremendously. I haven't given up carbohydrates, just carbs from gluten. Doc said that for her it was proof positive that my body wants to be gluten free. My skin has cleared, no more sores in the mouth, energy levels have returned. Color me happy!

Speaking of color, the leaves are turning here in Kentucky. We have had some blustery winds and it is stripping the trees of their leaves. I went for a ride yesterday and snapped some photos of what color there is, fearing that the wind and coming rain are going to ruin our fall show. I anticipate the fall color and the spring bloom each year like a child anticipates Christmas and their birthday. I figure God has developed His color palette for His glory and my delight. It's difficult not to pout in disappointment when He opts not to put on a spectacular show. As with all the disappointments brought to me with age and poor health, pouting isn't the actions of a God fearing woman. I have to remember the same God that paints the leaves breathes the wind that pulls them down before they are finished with their performance.

Ecclesiastes 3:1
1 There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven—


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.