Skip to main content

On Being a Punk

Things I know about myself... and wish I didn't.

I can sit for hours on end watching a movie or chatting with a friend while waxing philosophically about obscure topics. My butt hurts in under 15 minutes when I sit and read my bible.

I can still recite the Preamble and the Gettysburg Address. I still know all my lines from being Yente in a production of Fiddler on the Roof. I remember the Pledge of Allegiance and know when the Lords of Leaping and Pipers Piping do their thing in the 12 Days of Christmas. I memorized Isaiah 6 at one time. Now? "In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted seated on his throne, and the train of his robe filled the temple....and something something something and then woe is me for I am a man of unclean lips, something else more too."

When I did a post on Tommy Jordan shooting his daughter's laptop after she posted some hateful stuff about her parents on her Face Book wall? I knew what she'd done was wrong but I did not quickly and swiftly identify it as a violation of the 5th commandment. I pride myself on cutting through the fluff and getting to the heart of the matter. I also tell people if you identify a problem biblically, the biblical solution becomes apparent. However, I was willing to identify what she'd done as "wrong" or "disrespectful" and never thought beyond what she'd done to her parents. She sinned against God. Phil Johnson nailed me on that one. I hate that guy. Not really, but dagnabbit he convicts me with the stuff he writes.

My first response to conviction is not repentance. It's annoyance. I am also annoyed as heck if someone asks me a question when they know that I can't answer it. I will hold the transgression against them for a long, long time and when I can I will return the favor in the most humiliating venue I can manage.

If I have apologized and sought forgiveness for something and you bring the issue up again for any reason? I am done with you. Not only that but I will resent you for "making me" sin again by wishing for your skin to turn green and your eyes to fall out.

I am afraid of almost every scenario that involves transparency or intimacy. And what's more, I delude myself into thinking you don't know that about me already. Don't blow my cover. I am a formidable enemy when I am scared.

I am smarter than I let on and more ignorant than I will admit. I am honest only because I am too lazy to keep track of lies -but often wish I could. I don't like the immediate consequences of honesty much. By the way, don't lie to me. If I have to be honest and take the heat for it, so do you.

If you ask me two or more questions in a row about anything personal or to expand on what I have already said? You are suspect. If you can't catch the annoyance in my responses? You are either very evil and don't care or you are a dumb suspect. Dumb suspects are dismissed. Evil ones? They are marked for termination.

When I am lonely I think about blowing off my faith and running back to life I used to have. Yeah, the one that was so miserable when I was living it.
Why? Because I am just that stupid and focused on my temporal happiness.

You may be asking yourself what in the world would make me post something like this. I dunno. I take some solace in the fact that nobody reads this stuff anyway. If you do and you can identify with me in some capacity, I have this for you. My sinful attitudes and actions don't take God by surprise. He isn't slapping himself on the forehead and asking, "What did Rosemarie do this time!?!" When I trusted in Christ's atonement as the only way my soul could make it to heaven, all my sins were covered. All means all. So as horrible as I am, I am His. And as much as misery loves company I didn't tell you these things so we could sit sack cloth and ashes discussing what punks we are. Why don't we cut out all the lamenting, repent first and rejoice next?

1 Corinthians 10:13

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

13 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

Philippians 1:6

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

Galatians 2:20

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

20 I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

1 John 1:9

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Proverbs 28:13

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

13 He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper,
But he who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.