Skip to main content

Closet Wisdom


There were some odd things that crossed my mind as I hid in my closet from the storms on Friday, not the least of which was the irony over trying desperately to get into a closet when most of this warped world is trying to get out.

In the days leading up to the storms I had prepared as safe a place for myself as possible having purchased a home without a basement in what locals now tell me is "tornado alley." Where were they when I was looking for a place to buy? I had stocked my safe spot with water and dog food just in case my furry friends needed a snack while we were in there. They also had a dog bed and come comfy rugs to lay on. I sat on a leather ottoman tucked in the corner where my long sleeved v-necked tee shirts tousled my hair.

My gray old buddy, Chet the Wonder Dog, couldn't figure out why I was calling him into the closet. He's sort of blind and mostly deaf but he's really smart and knew we'd never spent time in that part of the house together before. Thibodeaux knew something was going on and if I was going to be in the closet, so was she. They assumed their positions by my feet, watched the door expectantly and waited. Thib cocked her head to one side and then the other. Chet is a hound, he sniffed the floor where the door doesn't quite meet it. I took pictures of them waiting with my smart phone and posted them on my Face Book account. We were being pummeled by hailstones and fierce winds and I am taking pictures of my dogs. What else do you do when you're completely out of control and helpless but enjoy the ride?

You can see from the top picture what was happening outside while we were in the closet. My house was unscathed. I lost a pot on the deck from the hail that came down. If you think hail is little smooth balls of ice you're wrong. When it comes down in big stones it resembles medieval torture devices; all sharp ends and wicked intentions. Last year it punched fist sized holes in my siding and shattered the roof in a few places. This time it seems that it's all good except for the lone planter.

Lots of folks lost their lives in the storm. Hundreds have been injured. Houses and businesses have been relocated from their foundations and scattered about like chaff. For reasons I don't understand, God spared me and my home. If you have seen the pictures of the devastation you know the probability of surviving winds like that from the comfort of my closet isn't good. Yet God in His mercy, for reasons I don't comprehend, spared me and mine while taking them and theirs.

Makes me feel like I ought to do something with whatever remains of my life. I only wish I knew what that something was....

1 Peter 4:11
11 Whoever speaks, is to do so as one who is speaking the utterances of God; whoever serves is to do so as one who is serving by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen

1 Corinthians 10:31

31 Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.