Skip to main content

Un-Ringing Bells and I Hate the Media

I could get up every day and share examples with you on why I deplore the media. The media was all over the Trayvon Martin shooting and the public jumped to conclusions. Some reporters got their 15 minutes of fame and proved the old adage, "There's a sucker born every minute."  Which, by the way, P.T. Barnum may never have said....there's evidence the media got it wrong.   Ugh! media.

The media prints it, the television airs it and we, the people,  respond like marionettes having our strings pulled. Only now, now that the race card has been played and folks last nerves been stepped on, are we beginning to hear the facts.  The voice screaming for help? Likely Mr. Zimmerman's. Photographs of a bruised and swollen face?  Mr. Zimmerman's.  Cut to the back of the head? Mr. Zimmerman's. Technology, sensationalism and the lack of critical thinking skills are a dangerous combination. Young Trayvon's family are due the greatest empathy we can give them.  But what about Mr. Zimmerman and his? You can't unring a bell that's clanging.  What if the media had let the law enforcement agencies do their job before they printed something that would get the entire country stirred up?  Who is going to apologize to the two families for having their emotions jerked around like they were in a yo-yo competition?  Instant access to the news has only increased the chance for error and harm.

Here's the thing though. We, the people,  are all culpable in these instances where conclusions are jumped to. We support the media. We snap at their lures. We point our thumbs up and down at our whim when the media pits two or more in opposition to one another. We let them control our emotions and hence, our opinions. We, the people, are foolish to do so, but we've been fools for years. The media plays the melody and we dance.

It is possible to come to different conclusions based on the same evidence. I am not talking about disagreeing in how the dots are connected. I am talking about the rush to get the scoop and sensationalize the story for the sake of a buck. The almighty dollar.  The love of money is wreaks havoc in all aspects of our lives. I guess I am hoping for a Vulcan owned and operated newspaper or news show.  Give me the facts and let me decide what I think about them.  Editorials are OK after the facts are in and they should be labeled as such.  We the people need to think before we react when we hear or read this stuff.  Let's have opinions born of facts for a change. Then, let's see if we can agree on how to connect the dots.

Speaking of which, I don't mind a bit when people disagree with me as long as they do it honestly. What I mind is people "feeling" their way to a position they can't defend and then calling me intolerant or ignorant because I call them on it. Emotions and critical thinking are not synonymous. Being passionate is not the same thing as being logical.  When you can be both about an issue, it is a brilliant thing to behold. Being honest enough to admit your emotions are clouding your judgement... that's humility at its finest.  That's the type of conversation I want to have with people.  I don't want to be reduced to ad hominem attacks. Nor do I want to joust with straw  men.  Give me something to think about and quit being ticked at me if I return the favor.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.