Skip to main content

Tripe, Sweetbreads, Tomato Soup

It is starting to be one of those days. I decided I wanted some mango with breakfast. All four of the mangoes I purchased were beautiful on the outside and brown on the inside. Next I thought a mushroom and spinach omelet would be nice and it probably would be if I had remembered to purchase mushrooms or spinach. They were on the list that I left on the island in my kitchen when I went to the store.  I never used to need lists so it's no wonder I forgot it. I am having to teach myself to write them. We'll work on taking them with me next.  I do have an app for that and it works great if I remember to use it. Maybe I just need a good cup of coffee?

I have a K-cup holder next to my Kreurig, it's pretty handy when you remember to fill it. I went to the pantry,  opened a new box of K-cups and promptly returned it to the cupboard only I'd really opened the fridge and stood there for a moment thinking, "What's wrong with this picture?" I did a fairly good job of covering by grabbing the cream while was in there.  It actually took me a second to figure out what possible reason I could come up with for opening the fridge instead of the pantry.  Maybe it was because I was distracted by the sounds of Mali Meep Cat hacking up a hair ball for me. What a delightful kitty she can be.

As I stood at the kitchen sink washing my hands thoughts of the new Dunkin' Donuts that's gone in downtown entered my head. Oh sure, they probably don't have any gluten and calorie free donuts but at this point, who cares?  It's only been a few days since I announced to you seven readers that I need to lose weight and am desperate to find a way to get healthy. I have been doing some preliminary research on what foods my body can tolerate. The pseudo-scientist in me is fascinated. The fat 55 year old is discouraged.

I tried a few days of the slow carb diet a friend suggested. I thought it was going to be great. My gastrointestinal tract is a mess but it loves the type of fiber in legumes; my pancreas has other ideas. While most folks see a nice stable blood sugar result from eating beans and lentils my blood sugar has spiked huge each time I eat them. On the other hand my blood sugar stays really low when I eat a tiny bit of protein with lots of leafy greens and fresh veggies but my guts wage war on me.  It's like making a political decision for my body, which is the lesser of the two evils?

Going paleo seems to be a compromise worth trying.  Meanwhile I will continue to prick my finger on the spindle of life as a diabetic and experiment with what foods work for me. It will probably be something like tripe and sweetbreads or tomato soup which is probably more disgusting than the aforementioned items.

The good news is I am still working at it.

Proverbs 16:3  Commit to the LORD whatever you do,  and he will establish your plans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Aphasia aka Senseless Theology

I was recently asked why I read theology and follow theological debates. "It's all just words and opinions." Words. Words on a paper, words on a blog. Words that travel invisibly through our airwaves and our minds. What would our inner monologue consist of without words? Harsh words, gentle words, untrue words, and solid you-can-die-behind them words. They have secret lives in the depths of our souls. They overflow in torrents of grief and joy. They seep out of our character flaws, wearing down the weak convictions that hold them back until they contaminate all those around us. All of us are stained within and without by the raw sewage of unkind words. Our souls are in jeopardy for want of The Word. Jesus Christ. The Gospel. The Good News. Words matter. Doctrine matters. Theology Matters. What you win them with is what you win them to. I study theology because I was lost too long in a world that scrambles truth with its own ideas and preferences. I was fed a diet of tosse

Super Church a song for the Emergent-sy

In the early 70s I was in a youth choir at my church. Our youth pastor was a musician and his way of connecting with us as a group was through the choir and music. Somehow there was an affiliation between him and The Continental Singers, New Hope and Jeremiah People. He was worked with Moishe Rosen of Jews for Jesus too, I think. Are any of these names familiar to you? Though I remember the church fondly I was a profoundly lost and troubled young woman during my years there. That and time have muddled the memories quite a bit. Today I was digging through some old paperwork and one of the books to the musical we did. It's Getting Late For the Great Planet Earth, a folk rock oratorio by Cam Floria. Yes, that's right. Cam Floria put Hal Lindsey to music. There's a lot to laugh about and some to groan about but as I was looking through the songs and remembering, I found this little ditty and I only wish I could sing it for you. Just remember that this is circa 1972 and even th

What if.....

...what if I just need a place to let some words spill out? What if they spill out in bouquets of bright colors and pleasing scents but their frames are made of snakes and lies? Will you the reader be able to tell? Will it matter? When words smell like lilacs and honeysuckle do you care what lies beneath them? Perfumed syllables cover the stench of hope's decay. A violet or two will fool most surface dwellers, allowing them to pass by quickly and unaware.  Is that what words are supposed to do? What if my aesthetics with words are similar to Morticia Addams' with flowers?  What happens when luscious blooms are discarded?  When the ragged silhouette of thorns is all that remains will you still see the beauty?  Perhaps we'll find out.